I was in Madrid yesterday, which means I did not get the chance to post about my latest FO, which is a sweater. It’s an Alice Starmore design called “St. Enda”
I haven’t blocked it yet (meaning I haven’t washed it and laid it out flat to dry), so it isn’t “just so,” and I was in a hurry to take the darn photo so I didn’t fuss with getting the sleeves to sit exactly right on my arms, but here’s a general idea of how it looks on me (I love it!).
I guess I kind of like the fact that the sleeves are turned out a bit so you can appreciate both the underside and “top” end of them. The background texture is just as beautiful as the cables, don’t you think?
This is the second time I’ve done a saddle shoulder, and I learned from my first experience. This time, I made the sleeves a bit longer so it the sweater doesn’t ride up on my shoulders and doesn’t give my sleeves that “high water” effect. I can raise my arms up in the air and still have enough sleeve to cover my arms without the whole jumper riding up. I imagine I can also wear a coat over it without having it ride up, either.
Of course, I didn’t follow the instructions for finishing (haha!). I didn’t bind off the stitches for the back or the front and I used garter stitch selvage on the ends of my rows. I did bind off the sleeve caps. Instead of sewing the saddles on I just knit them on using the live stitches at the shoulders. I crocheted the sleeve caps to the body (it looks totally invisible) and I mattress stitched the side seams for the body. One of these days I should make a tutorial for crocheting parts of sweaters together when you have bound off edges. It’s so much easier than “fake grafting” and looks a lot more invisible.
Hopefully this weekend I’ll be able to have a look at all your crafting stuff. I’ve been behind on the blogging and the blog reading.