I’ve started rotating projects and crafts again, so it’s nice to show off progress on multiple items. It is quite satisfying to write up a post with so many categories and three different types of crafts. This kind of excitement (is that what it is? excitement?) doesn’t happen all the time on my blog.
Over the weekend I decided to return to my Tunisian crochet afghan. I only need to finish three more squares to get the outer purple stripe done and, after weaving in quite a few ends, I can get out the cro-hook and start Tunisian crocheting around and around.
Since I had some spare time to reflect over the weekend, I actually reflected, and then I was shocked and appalled when all my reflecting led me to the conclusion that I hadn’t bothered to cast on a sock since I finished my last pair in 2017. I immediately retrieved some self-striping sock yarn from the stash and perused some patterns. I had a gander at “Socks on a Plane,” and I enjoyed the photo and thought to myself, “Hmmm… that one little cable will take the boredom out of knitting multi-colored yarn like this rather dull color way I’ve got here.” I scanned the pattern directions, saw the sizing, and said to myself, “I’ll have to adapt it to my vanilla sock.” Further scanning revealed that the designer instructs you to start at the toe, make a heel flap, starts with more toe stitches than I usually care for, etc. etc. etc. so I just closed the pdf pattern and made up my own version with my favorite wedge heel and my 24 toe stitches. There’s nothing really mysterious or complicated about this. You just slap a cable on a sock so it goes up the edge of the foot. I’m going to continue my cable into the ribbing on the cuff (not sure if the “Socks on a Plane” pattern does that or not). Anyway, I’m calling these things here “Socks on a Sofa:”
As you can see in the photo, I finished the whole foot, got the heel wedged up and turned, and I’m on the leg now. If I ever do this again, I might make the cable travel across the instep.
My “Dragon of the Mountains” cross stitch project is also coming along nicely. As previously mentioned, I began to run out of Kreinik thread and discovered I hadn’t purchased enough of it for my other two dragons I’ve got planned, either. I ordered more and mistakenly went with the cheaper option of online shops. It was a store in Italy that was quick to take my money and very slow to send out my order. I figured out that they were dragging their heels because they were waiting to restock an item I asked for and that it would take 21 days (ACK!) for this item to be back in stock. I waited a few days and then wrote them, canceling that item, hoping that if I eliminated it from my order I would get my stuff already (HMPH!). It then took them another 24 hours to get my stuff shipped. In all, they sat on my order for an entire week. I was also very irritated because I ordered A LOT OF STUFF and the total I spent was considerable. I felt I was deserving of receiving the things they had in stock now and then get the other item in a separate shipment later. Since I feel this way, I might not use them again, although who knows? The prices were really good and I could see myself ordering things I’m not in a hurry to receive. I’ll just have to be cautious and not order anything out of stock. Also, in all fairness, this on line shop looks like it’s a family business out of a little country house, so there’s that. This could give me all the more reason to order from them again. They’re fighting the good fight, this family, competing with Amazon and all.
Anyway, back to my “Dragon of the Mountains.” He now has his fireball flying out of his mouth and a border now goes all the way round him. I just have to add the Kreinik metallic X’s to the border and then I can get on with backstitching and adding the beads (yay! beads!).
Also, I’m very happy to show you those spools of gold thread. I got my gold thread just in time! One is about to run on empty and I’ve got a recharge at the ready. Woot!