SAL Update for “Pandora’s Box” with beads

There isn’t too much progress to report on the “Pandora’s Box” blackwork sampler, although there is some to see and talk about. Mostly, time has been devoted to beads because the next square to work on needed beads incorporated into its all-over stitch pattern. This also meant decisions needed to be made. I hadn’t planned on what color beads I was going to use for the project because I wanted to wait and see how different ones would look. The pattern calls for Mill Hill “Old Gold.” In the end, I opted for a more brightly sparkling gold bead from my stash.

pandorasep

To see what other SAL participants have been up to, you can visit their blogs here:

 

Advertisements

Doing some crafts

I’ve been doing some crafts. I’ve done some knitting here, some crochet there, cross stitch here and there. I finished another “Five-sided Pineapple Doily” from that 1980s book Forever Favorite Crochet that is out of print. Now I have two. I might give one away, I might keep both. I have all the time in the world to decide.

Photo Aug 24, 13 06 27

Today I’ve been working on another “Spring Biscornu,” this time using the recommended color for the fabric, which is a pale green. I think it looks really good with this color, although the one on brown, hand-dyed Aida wasn’t too shabby, either.

springy

SAL Update with new squares for “Pandora’s Box”

These past few weeks I’ve had time to sit down and add some squares to my blackwork project, “Pandora’s Box.” I’ve even worked some on the border, adding three new rectangles, two big ones and a little one at the beginning of the new row. I need to finish the back stitching on that last Assisi square, though, and then I can move on and finish off this row of squares and the border rectangle.

pandoraprogress

I’m going to be looking at what other SAL participants have been up to with their projects. Why don’t you join me? Their work can be found at the links below:

 

More stitching is more like it, I say!

Now that I’ve had some time to spend at home I’ve been getting into my summer stitching. I’ve been rotating projects daily, mostly concentrating on cross stitch pieces.

Some of you might remember that I’ve been working on a set of three Chinese dragons which were designed by Joan Elliott, an accomplished cross stitch charter with lots of good stuff published out there. I’ve recently finished “Dragon of the Mountains” and so now I’ve been working on “Dragon of the Sea.” I’ve made sufficient progress on it so you can tell that it’s actually a mythical beast.

dragofsea

The final dragon of this three-part series is called “Dragon of the Clouds” and is done on black fabric, which should be an interesting challenge.

I’ve been enjoying stitching away at these fantastical animals namely because Elliott has really made them interesting to work on. Each dragon has different color beads and Kreinik metallic threads as accents. These accessories really make all the difference. The “Dragon of the Sea” is especially fun because it calls for two different color beads. Twice the fun.

SAL Update: “Pandora’s Box” with more boxes!

In the past week I’ve stopped commuting. This means I’ve had more time at home to work on larger projects. Thanks to this, “Pandora’s Box” now has two more completed squares, or boxes.

Of the two squares, the most tedious was the Assisi pattern, which took me about ten hours to complete. Believe it or not, it requires two colors. I know, I should say “colors” because the two DMC numbers used in it are 310, which is black, and 53, which is a gray-scale multi. The cross stitching goes by pretty fast. It’s the back stitching that was a lot of work, made more complicated because the chart has mistakes in it. Fortunately, if there is anything positive about pattern errors, they were easy to catch because the design is symmetrical.

I think the terrible thing about the newly added Assisi pattern is that I don’t like it very much and I spent so much time working on it. I feel like I’ve been robbed. However, in the overall composition of the sampler, it doesn’t take away from its beauty, so that’s something to be thankful for.

The final square of this row is another Assisi pattern that looks much better. I’m getting going on it today. Then, I think I’ll do some more border work and stitch up some more squares.

Check out what my SAL buddies are up to. They have some truly wonderful projects in progress.

 

Staycation

I have absolutely no work until mid-August! It’s so nice to be on vacation. Traveling to Madrid this summer is making me grateful to just stay home while on vacation. I don’t care about beaches, piña coladas, nothing.

With all this free time I’ve been working on my craft projects a lot more. This first photo looks like an almost FO. It almost is. All it needs is some washing, ironing, and sewing into a throw pillow. That won’t be happening for a long time. I need to get two more dragons done and decide how I want to sew the throw pillows up first. However, we can celebrate how all the back stitching and embellishments are done on this “Dragon of the Mountains.”

mountainwip

Yesterday I made some progress on my “Celtic Wheel,” a cross stitch project I haven’t even looked at since February or so.

celticwip

Also, I decided to cast on a Trillian, a pattern by Martina Behm. I’m using my Done Roving sock yarn from my last visit to the USA. Done Roving is small yarn company from Maine, my home state. 🙂

trillianinprogre

Still not sewing the biscornus

I got the stitching done on my summer biscornu.

summerbis

I still haven’t got going on the sewing for the biscornus just yet. Also, I’ve decided to get the back stitching done on my “Dragon of the Mountains” and work more on “Pandora’s Box.”

Meanwhile, I need to figure out what I want to do for my next knitting project. I have lots of cool yarn to play with, I just can’t make up my mind.