I’ve crocheted a lot of afghans in my life, but this one is special. It could be that I feel accomplished because I mostly made it up on my own, improvising a bit. I did get some help from Jan Eaton’s 200 Crochet Blocks, but I sewed my blocks together with my own ideas and improvised the “filler,” which are random stitch patterns. I even made up my own border for it on the fly!
It was really hard for me to photograph this, so I decided to include different angles on it, including draped over a door. I really wish I had a yard. So many of my blogging buds take a nice panoramic photo of their afghans in their back yards so you can see the whole thing. I live in an apartment in a pretty big city, and it’s just not feasible to drag out an afghan like this and try to spread it over some public space other people are using. I considered trying to get to a public park, but then there was the time factor. I don’t think it would have been a good idea, anyway, because even public parks are full of people using up just about anything that might hold a spread-out blanket.
As you can see from the last two photos, I made up an interesting border with different colored stripes, some lacy, others with a little texture. The most time-consuming task was the multi-colored bobbles with the dark blue background. I wanted to do them as I would with tapestry crochet, but the bright colors showed through the dark blue and looked pretty bad, so I had to cut and weave in ends for each color. I am so glad I did that, though, because it just adds that extra little “umph” I wanted for it.
This afghan will spend most of its time on our bed. I’m confident it will make its way to the living room occasionally.
Now that I’ve finished this afghan I only have one knit/crochet WIP going, which is a pair of socks. This means I’ll be looking for something new to start pretty soon.